Book Translation round 2.
I’ve been looking at my book sales and KDP select seem to be popular for Translated books.
I did translations before and have now forgotten how I did the process. So I’m revisiting the journey I made before
I’d been trying to do it in Word but it doesn’t work too well.
I then remembered tone of the previous articles I wrote: eBook translation to French, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish & Arabic (difficult) and it does outline the process.
Vid shows the translate process in Google Docs, you can then download file as a word docx.
EU Council Presidency Translator (EUCPT)
I came across this video on YouTube so I thought I’d give it a try. It is a little slower than Google Translate for uploading, opening and then translating document, but if it keeps the links then it may be OK to try and use. Also may be useful for more EU languages , and others such as Finnish. EU Council Presidency Translator.
On the test I did for Revit Bk2 to Portuguese it took about 3/4 hour and translated the whole document, code included. This may be a better way to translate and use.
I’ve copied document across to NAS to work on for adjusting code, and I can use the NAS and use other computers to do translation in browser for different languages as I go. A plan is made and now needs to be put into action.
Slower but the whole document is better than faster and lots and lots of different processes.
Languages in EUCPT include:
The only ones that match with KDP languages: The top list are new and the bottom I’ve used already. There is Irish too but they would not purchase book in Irish so no point
I’d like to do these too:
- Chinese (Traditional) (eBook only)
Translations to date
I’ve been focusing on Revit 2 with existing series. Then I should move onto the 4 new languages and translate Revit 1 to them.
Also strategy of translating AHK books into the 9 languages.
I’m having issues with AHK1 not being able to be uploaded to EUCPT so having to do 5 stage Google Sheet Translate. That WILL take a while.
So far I’ve done following conversions and tried to upload to EUCPT , none work to date:
- Cut/pasted into a new word document
- Cut doc in half.
- Unformatted the document
- saved as .doc
- saved as .rtf
- Taken into GDocs and downloaded as docx
- Taken into GDocs and downloaded as odf
- also most methods from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/damaged-documents-in-word
A lot of effort has gone into trying to get this document to work from bugs but itt seems that was wasted too, see below. There was this showing and in the end I just processed the document and it seemed to work. Hurray Hurray.
This means there is consistency across books for translation process.
I wasted my time downloading free trial for a paid software for translation and ended up deleting it from the system.
Its taken me a lot of faffing but at least process seems to be working. The EUCPT process is definitely faster than the GDocs Translate method. Not sure of any of the translation inaccuracies but at least its done.
Still heaps to do with the code and all the rest of the guff, but at least it moves me along